
The race day has finally come and gone! For the past 5 months, I have been training to run/walk the Seattle Rock and Roll 1/2 Marathon with Team in Training, raising money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. On June 27th, I am happy to say that all my training was a success and I completed my first event ~ and now that my feet are recovering, I think I am crazy because I am actually thinking of doing it again - at least two more times within this next year!
Thanks to many of you, I am so grateful that I was able to raise $1800 to support Leukemia and Lymphoma research. As you may know, almost two years ago I lost my dad to brain cancer, and it is believed that this cancer was a metastasis from the lymphoma he had a few years before. I can't even tell you how amazing it felt to be running along the course, absolutely exhausted, and hearing the people that were lining the race course cheering me on while holding Team in Training posters and decked out in purple to support the cause. It was all very empowering! I also wore the names of 8 "h0nor teammates" on my jersey. Honor teammates are loved ones of my friends and family who have either lost their battle with this horrible disease, or are still courageously fighting. Of course, a also had a picture of my dad on my jersey to support me through the run. I knew, throughout the event, that no matter how tired I was, if all of the people who have to fight cancer every day can do it - I could definitely do a mere 13.1 miles.
Thanks to many of you, I am so grateful that I was able to raise $1800 to support Leukemia and Lymphoma research. As you may know, almost two years ago I lost my dad to brain cancer, and it is believed that this cancer was a metastasis from the lymphoma he had a few years before. I can't even tell you how amazing it felt to be running along the course, absolutely exhausted, and hearing the people that were lining the race course cheering me on while holding Team in Training posters and decked out in purple to support the cause. It was all very empowering! I also wore the names of 8 "h0nor teammates" on my jersey. Honor teammates are loved ones of my friends and family who have either lost their battle with this horrible disease, or are still courageously fighting. Of course, a also had a picture of my dad on my jersey to support me through the run. I knew, throughout the event, that no matter how tired I was, if all of the people who have to fight cancer every day can do it - I could definitely do a mere 13.1 miles.
Now, if my two toenails that want to come off would just finish the process, so that I can move on, I would be very grateful! :)
2 comments:
What a role model you are..That is fantastic and I do think you are crazy but brave to do it again...
You are awesome! I wanna do that...I'd love to run with you next year!
Post a Comment